Thursday, December 10, 2009

Word



"I spend more time than most thinking about whether or not magazines will live or die, since my family and I own a few of them. I've been to conferences about whether or not they will survive. I am barraged by consultants trying to convince me magazines are on the verge of death.
Now, I do think e-readers and Kindles and iPhones have subsumed much of our reading and especially information needs.
But speaking from personal experience, I've noticed something lately. The more I use technology (and I am on the damn computer a lot...too much), the more I want to read a magazine. But I want different things than I wanted some years ago. Frankly, I want a break. I want to be surprised and delighted. I want to relax and not have to decide which page I'm going to next. I want to look at pictures. I want to sit back on my couch and not have a glowing screen staring me in the eyes. I want to be inspired. It's kind of like going on a great date, only I don't have to get dressed up.
The Internet is a technology that enables people to go out in SEARCH of things. I'm all for that and love it to pieces. But sometimes, I just want things to FIND me. Sometimes, I am just tired of looking and typing and seeking, and I just want to sit on my comfortable couch and be surprised when I turn the page.
That's why I believe magazines won't die"
Words by Maria Rodale, what she said.

And thats also a great belt buckle I got at the Rose Bowl a few months ago and thats my belly after eating lots of very tasty Japanese food for a week but damn, where did all that hair come from? Yuk!

No comments:

Post a Comment